Return to Newsletter
Workshops Stay Active with Governor's Council
MASWM Executive Direct Katie Jones has been active as a member of the Missouri Governor’s Council on Disabilities and reported several highlights from recent sessions:
• Missouri will celebrate the 30th anniversary of the ADA on July 28 at the capital in Jefferson City. Guest speakers will be announced closer to the date, and the event will run from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
• DESE is working with the Special School District of St. Louis County (SSD) on a new curriculum for those with severe disabilities.
• The Housing Committee is focusing on universal design for new construction, as well as a potential shortage of housing/increased pricing potentially this fall.
• The Deaf and Hard of Hearing Committee is working with the 911 service board to make it more accessible for those with hearing impairments.
• The Governor’s Councils executive director is working to make a “Disabilities Committee” to review bills at the capital. This will allow more insight into decision making.
• There are four open positions for the Governor’s Council.
Katie also noted several legislative updates:
• All bills for this session have been submitted.
• The Missouri WIOA plan has been submitted for federal review. Issuance will be July.